Joseph Hill lawrence
Richard and Mary Stephenson and their children owned the property from 1911 to 1974. Their daughter Muriel is remembered as a noted concert pianist and music instructor.
Regarding its Design or Physical Value, this property contains an attractive example of a fashionable, third quarter 19th century dwelling influenced by Italianate and Queen Anne styling. It is somewhat peculiar in that the Fairs, who had the financial means and acreage to do otherwise, chose to incorporate an earlier frame dwelling on site, into their substantial brick addition. The outcome was still a symmetrical, square plan structure. The well-crafted brickwork may be that of Collingwood mason John Chamberlain.
Regarding its Contextual Value, this property, with its dwelling and picturesque setting, enhances the residential character of the streetscape. It still presents a sense of having been a landmark.
Also included in Schedule B is a Description of Heritage Attributes. It reads as follows:
No part of the 2006 west addition or the north and south new/rebuilt verandahs are included. The cultural heritage value or interest of this property is expressed by the principal heritage attribute of an 1877-1878, two-story, brick dwelling, including the following exterior features:
All original components of the roof including the form pediments, gables, and dormer
The original chimneystack on the south roof
The historic form, massing, height, scale, and design element
Any original roof brackets
The masonry including red-orange and buff-yellow brick, accent banding, quoins,
voussoirs or heads over door and window openings, and other decorative treatments
All components of the original window openings, trim, and various sash types
All original elements of the stacked bay windows on the east façade
The enclosed brick porch on the east façade and all original components of the door case and upper balcony
All the etched and stained glass
All original entryways, including trim, transom windows, and paneled doors
All original wood trim
The iron fencing and gate, including the manufacturers’ crest
The view of the front(east) façade of the dwelling from Hurontario Street